This is historical material “frozen in time”. The website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work.

Search form

Troops and Vets can still File for Stop Loss Pay

Eligible Service members and Veterans must file for Retroactive Stop Loss Payments before the deadline, October 21, 2011, to receive the benefit.

Ed. Note: Cross-posted from the Office of Wounded Warrior Care and Transitional Policy blog.

Last week the Department of Defense released a statement reminding Service members and Veterans that the deadline for Retroactive Stop Loss Payments (RSLP) is fast approaching. This is not an automatic entitlement, benefit or allowance. Eligible Service members and Veterans must file a claim by October 21, 2011 to receive this benefit.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act authorizes Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay of $500 per month for each month or any portion of a month during the period specified that the current or former Soldier, Marine, Sailor, and Airman was retained on active duty as a result of of Stop Loss. The act applies to service members Stop Lossed during the period starting 11 September 2001 and ending 30 September 2009.

Last year, Congress and Defense Department Officials pushed back the filing deadline to October 21, 2011. Barring Congressional action, this appears to be the final deadline Service members and Veterans can apply for RSLP payments of $500 per month they were Stop-Lossed.

Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen stated, “The application process is simple and straightforward. No strings attached. But once the deadline passes, we cannot by law extend it…It’s your money.”

Eligible Service members and Veterans should visit their specific service’s web site and submit their application on-line. When applying on-line each submission provides a claim number, allows for automated status updates, and provides a means for the military service to contact the applicant. For those without internet access, complete and sign Department of Defense Form 2944, “Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment.” Next, submit this form and your documentation to your appropriate Service.

You will need the following documents in order to file your claim:

  • DD 214 (8-09), Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and/or DD 215 (8-09), Correction to DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
  • Personnel record or enlistment or reenlistment document recording original expiration of service date.
  • Approved retirement/transfer to the Fleet Reserve memorandum or orders establishing retirement prior to actual date of retirement as stipulated in DD 214 or DD 215.
  • Approved resignation memorandum or transition orders establishing a separation date prior to actual date of separation as stipulated on DD 214 or DD 215.
  • Signed documentation or affidavit from knowledgeable officials from the individual’s chain of command acknowledging separation/deployment, etc.
  • Revocation of retirement or separation orders.

Visit the Office of Wounded Warrior Care and Transition Policy for service-specific sites that provide more information and allow you to begin the RSLP claim process.

Arturo Murguia is Special Assistant in the Office of the Secretary of Defense