This room on the ground floor was originally a laundry room, then a waiting room, and finally, in 1935, the White House Library. The Library holds a range of books as well as portraits of four Native American leaders who visited the White House in 1821-22; the only known likeness of James Hoban, the original architect of the White House; and two armchairs from a set made in 1817 for President James Monroe.