White House Hosts Forum on Women and the Economy
WASHINGTON, DC – On Friday, April 6, President Obama will deliver remarks at the White House Forum on Women and the Economy to highlight ways the Administration has helped create economic security for women and recognizes that women are key to economic growth and competitiveness. As part of the Forum, the White House will release a report on women and the economy which will examine the ways in which the Administration has worked to ensure women's economic security and create jobs for women, through all stages of life. From access to affordable education for young women to supporting women at work and at home, to ensuring security for women in retirement, the Administration is committed, across all agencies and departments, to do everything it can to create an economy built to last for America's women.
White House Forum on Women and the Economy Details:
On Friday, Chair of the White House Council on Women and Girls Valerie Jarrett will deliver opening remarks and introduce a panel, moderated by Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC’s Morning Joe with Senior Administration Officials, private sector and academic leaders participating. Following the opening panel, the President will deliver remarks to an audience of entrepreneurs, academics, stakeholders, business leaders. Following the President’s remarks, Senior Administration Officials including Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis, Attorney General Eric Holder, as well as the Director of the Domestic Policy Council Cecilia Munoz, Executive Director of the White House Council on Women and Girls Tina Tchen and Katharine Abraham, Member of the Council of Economic Advisors, will lead a series of breakout sessions on a range of topics including: Women at Work, Education, Health , Women’s Entrepreneurship, and Violence Against Women and Girls.
FRIDAY, APRIL 6, 2012
8:45AM-8:55AM: Chair of the White House Council on Women and Girls Valerie Jarrett delivers opening remarks
8:55AM-9:50AM: Women and the Economy Panel
- Moderator: Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC’s Morning Joe
- Director of the National Economic Council Gene Sperling
- Administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration, Karen Mills
- CEO of Deloitte Joe Echevarria
- Princeton University Lawrence and Shirley Katzman and Lewis and Anna Ernst Professor in the Economics of Education and Professor of Economics and Public Affairs, Cecilia Rouse.
10:15AM-10:30AM: President will deliver remarks
10:45AM-11:45AM: Breakout Sessions
- Moderated by Director of the Domestic Policy Council, Cecilia Munoz and President of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Shirley Ann Jackson
Women at Work Breakout:
- Moderated by Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis and Katharine Abraham, Member of the Council of Economic Advisors
Women’s Entrepreneurship Breakout:
- Moderated by Treasury Under Secretary for Domestic Finance Mary Miller and Executive Director of the White House Council on Women and Girls Tina Tchen
- Moderated by Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius and Deputy Assistant to the President on Health Policy Jeanne Lambrew
Violence Against Women and Girls Breakout:
- Moderated by Attorney General Eric Holder and White House Advisor on Domestic Violence Lynn Rosenthal
12:00PM-12:30PM: Closing Plenary with Twitter Q&A #WomenEconForum