Readout of the President's Meeting With Representatives from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners on the Affordable Care Act
Today, the President met with representatives from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) to discuss the implementation of the Affordable Care Act and other insurance-related issues.
The President reiterated the Administration’s commitment to working in close coordination with insurance commissioners who have a critical role to play in protecting consumers, ensuring plan solvency, and promoting competitive health insurance markets. They also help consumers understand the provisions and opportunities afforded them under the Affordable Care Act.
The President and insurance commissioners also discussed ongoing work to make sure consumers across the country understand their options and rights under the Affordable Care Act.
The President and insurance commissioners also talked about the announcement last week to help smooth the transition to the new system by providing states with the option of allowing insurers to renew existing plans in 2014, and requiring that health plans that offer such renewals provide consumers with clear information about consumer protections lacking in those plans and their options and possible tax credits through the Marketplace. States have different populations with unique needs, and it is up to the insurance commissioner and health insurance companies to decide which insurance products can be offered to existing customers next year.
Additionally, the President emphasized that he wants to hear any ideas that insurance commissioners may have as implementation continues to ensure that Americans across the country have the information they need to get affordable, quality coverage for themselves and their families.
- Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Cecilia Muñoz, White House Assistant to the President and Director of the Domestic Policy Council
- Chris Jennings, White House Deputy Assistant to the President for Health Policy and Coordinator for Health Reform
- Kathryn Ruemmler, Assistant to the President and Counsel to the President
- Former Sen. Ben Nelson, Chief Executive Officer, NAIC
- Jim Donelon, Insurance Commissioner, Louisiana, and NAIC President
- Wayne Goodwin, Insurance Commissioner, North Carolina
- Thomas Leonardi, Insurance Commissioner, Connecticut