5 Things You Should Know About the House GOP's Threat to Shut Down the Department of Homeland Security
With less than one day left before the Department of Homeland Security's funding expires, House Republicans continue to threaten a shutdown of a department that keeps Americans safe. Set to run out tomorrow, this critical funding pays for more than 30,000 American workers, helps keep our cities safe and our border secure, and is essential to our overall national security.
That's why President Obama has continually pushed Congress to pass a clean bill that funds the Department without any strings attached. Here are five things you need to know about the House Republicans' threat to shut down the Department of Homeland Security:
1. It would furlough thousands of employees who keep us safe, and would force many to work without pay.
If the Republicans follow through on their threat to shut down the Department, at least 30,000 employees who keep us safe would be forced to go on furlough. Also, hundreds of thousands of employees would be forced to work without pay. This includes:
- More than 40,000 Border Patrol agents and Customs and Border Protection officers
- More than 50,000 TSA aviation security screeners
- More than 13,000 Immigration and Customs Enforcement law enforcement agents and officers
- More than 40,000 active-duty Coast Guard military members
- More than 4,000 Secret Service law enforcement agents and officers
2. It is opposed by both Republican and Democratic former Secretaries of Homeland Security.
Regardless of their political party, former Secretaries of Homeland Security are voicing their concern with the House Republicans' threat to shut down the Department. They stand united on the fact that funding this department is essential to our national security and should never be compromised.
3. It threatens the safety and security of our country.
Without funding, the Department of Homeland Security will not be at its fullest operational capacity. What's more, those who continue to keep America safe will be doing so without pay. The Department deserves our full support to execute its mission and protect America by helping to prevent terrorism, securing our borders, and responding to disasters.
4. It is even opposed by members of their own party.
Members of the Republican Party are putting politics aside to demand that we properly fund our homeland security. It's not time to play politics. These members understand that America's safety and security is of the utmost importance.
5. It hurts states across the country.
The Department of Homeland Security works to support all 50 states across our country. Without funding, employees will be unable to best support states and other localities. This threat to shut down the Department is a lackluster choice by House Republicans and ultimately threatens the security and everyday well-being of citizens from coast to coast.
FEMA grants help states & communities prepare, train first responders, and provide necessary equipment to do the job. #FundDHS— Homeland Security (@DHSgov) February 26, 2015
With only one day remaining, House Republicans need to get to work and fund the Department of Homeland Security. Share these five things and learn more about why Republicans in Congress should not play politics with the security of the American people.